Wednesday nights can be a bit panicked for me. Especially yesterday. Instead of making Friday Soup (Definition – A soup, made on Friday, that uses up all the aging vegetables from last week’s CSA box) last week, I made three loaves of bread. Seeing as my CSA box comes on Thursday, I had to scramble to use up a couple of turnips and a head of broccoli last night. Sorry, kale, next time…hang in there little buddy!
Do you have a few turnips? Clueless about what to do with them? Don’t worry, you’re taken care of. I’m sure you have some miso, walnuts, and TVP on hand like any respectful vegan (just kidding, there are no rules…I’m still trying to like tahini…as vegan, I know, it’s sacrilege!) This dish is easy as pie, and simple enough to allow all the flavors to be shine.
Sweet and meaty turnips are braised with TVP and walnuts in agave nectar and washed with miso. Perched atop a bed of steamed broccoli and topped with sprouts, you can feel good about this unique and delicious meal.
Agave & Miso Braised Turnips with Steamed Broccoli
Sweet and meaty turnips are braised with TVP and walnuts in agave nectar and washed with miso. Perched atop a bed of steamed broccoli and topped with sprouts, you can feel good about this unique and delicious meal. NOTES: Feel free to use any other root vegetable in place of the turnips. Instead of broccoli, this can be served over rice, quinoa, or couscous.
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ Tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 large pinches of kosher salt
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- ¼ cup dry TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- handful of broccoli sprouts (optional)
- dash of ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy bottomed frying pan or soup pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the turnips and walnuts. Cook until slightly browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the broth, agave, and salt stirring well to combine. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 25 minutes, until the turnips are tender.
- Meanwhile, chop and steam the broccoli for about 10 minutes, until just tender and bright green.
- Once the turnips are done, remove from heat and whisk in the miso paste. Add the TVP, stir to combine, then cover and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve the turnip mixture over a bed of steamed broccoli and top with sprouts. Crack black pepper over it, to taste. Serve hot.
Boo! It’s been a wee bit windy over here in the Last Frontier. Can you tell? This is Todd, all fixed up to take Bob on his evening constitutional. #thisishowwerollinAK
Dutch Word of The Day
Turnip –> raap (rahp)
Good Deed of The Day
Like we need another reason to ditch dairy…but here you go. From an environmental standpoint. Cow Palace. Omg.