This creamy, miso-flavored pasta pairs perfectly with tender summer squash with notes of garlic, thyme, and cheese. Dinner is done in the time it takes to boil the noodles.
Miso: more than just soup. I don’t know about you, but I put miso in errrything. Salty, umami, earthy, probioticy (it’s a word now!)… miso’s got all the goodness going on. I prefer the dark or red miso as I find it to be the most flavorful. However, if you’re new to miso try the mellower yellow one. Once you start putting it in dishes and sauces, you’ll never stop. It’s a great alternative to salt, anchovies, parmesan, or feta flavors.
Did you know miso makes a wonderful pasta sauce as well? Oh yes, my friends. This is a super quick and easy weeknight meal that everyone will love and even sneaks in veggies too (like all that squash from the garden). I hope you’ll love it as much as Todd and I did; it’ll be a new staple in our house for sure!
Miso Pasta with Summer Squash
This creamy, miso-flavored pasta pairs perfectly with tender summer squash with notes of garlic, thyme, and cheese. Dinner is done in the time it takes to boil the noodles!
- 1 lb spaghetti, dry
- 3 tbsp vegan stick butter
- 3 medium summer squash or zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp red miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan worcheshire sauce (check the store-brand)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp large-flake nutritional yeast
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta. Cook according to package, until al dente. Before draining reserve ⅓ cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta and return to pot.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the squash and saute for 5 minutes before adding garlic; saute an additional 10 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the squash is just tender but not overcooked. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the miso through the thyme. Add the cooked noodles to the sauteed squash and stir in the sauce and reserved pasta water until well coated. Stir in the nutritional yeast and serve hot.