This perfectly vegan fluffy french toast is scented with chai spice and deliciously decadent. If you think you need eggs for the best french toast ever, you are mistaken. I’m sorry, I’m just the messenger. Have you had vegan french toast? No? Better get on it! Gosh, I’m sooo bossy today.
Ooooo, I am so excited to share today’s recipe with you! This is the most delightful breakfast ever. When I worked up at Hatcher Pass Lodge (see cool photos here), I was a french toast making extraordinaire. I learned how to make the most splendid and lavish french toast.
And I have to tell you, if you’re making french toast with regular ol’ sammy bread…you’re doing it wrong. Just STOP. No more, I forbid it. Once you make french toast with actual french bread (well, french “style” bread)…oh gosh, just…if you haven’t, you need to. This is not The Depression. Make it with french bread, not sandwich bread. Sandwich bread is for sandwiches and french bread is obviously for, well, french toast.
Also, you have to wear your fancy pants when you eat these.
Oh, also…we slathered ours with birch syrup. If you’re in Alaska (like me) and have a small fortune to squander (unlike me), it’s time to get yo’self some birch syrup. I think it’s, please excuse my contrived snootiness here, richer and way more complex than maple syrup. It’s has so much more going on. It’s darker and more caramelly (it’s a word, I checked). If you get the chance to try it, please do!
Spiced Chai French Toast
By Katie Henry – Produce On Parade
This perfectly vegan fluffy french toast is scented with chai spice and deliciously decadent. If you think you need eggs for the best french toast ever, you are mistaken.
- 1 cup unsweetened plain plant milk (I use oat milk)
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. chai spice
- 1/2 tsp. ground flaxseed or ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb of french bread, about 6 1 inch thick slices
- In a liquid measuring cup whisk together all the ingredients except for the bread then transfer to a shallow rimmed dish, like a pie dish.
- Coat a large frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Dip each slice of bread in the french toast liquid for about 5-10 seconds on each side. The bread should feel slightly heavier but not soaked completely through. That’s the trick!
- Cook the slices for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown.
- Serve hot; drench with maple (or birch!) syrup, vegan butter, and topped with powdered sugar and strawberries, or whatever your favorite toppings are!
Yield: 3-4 servings
This french toast means business.
Listening to Electric Guest – This Head I Hold