Spaghetti. The ultimate comfort food. When you have a 3 1/2 month old… comfort food is the only thing on the menu these days. As such, I try to make our meals as healthy (and as quick) as possible while still allowing it to fill the deep, deep void that sleep cannot. It’s not a great replacement, I know, but seeing as I’ve been sleeping on my hour lunch break exercise is not an option here.
To every mother with a newborn who is getting in a daily run in while still working full time and coming home and making dinner/cleaning/breastfeeding; you are SUPERHUMAN. A case study. Sigh, that’s not me. Well, everything but the run. Hopefully when (and if) Oliver decides to sleep a little longer during the night and my sleep bank isn’t in the red, I’l begin to run on the regular again and maybe feel a little more like myself and less of a puffy zombie! One can dream, right?
Easy Mushroom Spaghetti
This is a quick, delicious, and hearty spaghetti chock full of meaty mushrooms. The best part is this meal is ready before the pasta is even done cooking; a perfect weekday dish that’s healthy and vegan!
- 1 lb dry spaghetti
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- dash of chili flakes, to taste
- ⅓ cup chiffonade fresh basil (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta, cook according to package until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic; saute for about 3 minutes until the onions are translucent and tender. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for about 8 minutes, until the mushrooms darken and lose their water. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, and paprika; saute an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the fresh basil. Bring to a boil over medium-heat then reduce to a simmer; cook for about 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in the fresh basil and remove from heat. Serve hot over cooked pasta or stir in the pasta all at once into the sauce.
This is an absolute staple in our house. I created this recipe over the years of throwing things together for a marinara sauce, tweaking it each time, and decided a while back to finally write it down. I can’t believe I haven’t shared it yet!
Our little family went on a foraging trek behind our house for fiddlehead ferns again. Still nothing! Last year they were up this very day. We’ll just keep checking. Oliver loves being outside.
Of course, I couldn’t leave you without a smile from the little man. His shirt reads, I love veggies. #veganbambino